Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Next African Child by Victoria Ibiwoye

This was written for the blog by our very own Victoria Ibiwoye

It always begin with me shaking my head. I do not know where to start from but I know exactly where I can go from here once I start.

There is an unending sweetening within me to know that I am from the African race and for Africa to make a positive change. Maybe its just me and my culture, for my brothers don't always see the joy that I see and my sisters don't feel at all, the hurt that settle inside of me.
Can we not see the future is not about being selfish and always wanting to have what is seemingly okay to us?

I have watched as my hairdresser abuse her 'son' whenever I go to style my hair. Certainly, it cannot be that the little boy is her own biological son. But like the other pretty ladies whom I often meet whenever I go there would say "Even If"!

So many other stories I have heard of how adults despicably abuse children, even of how they permit some children to abuse and modest others some of which have gone viral on social networks. Oh Lord, I just want this to rest in the lowest stage of my imagination but when there is a recall and this resurfaces, it is as a tornado blast in my head.

It is one thing to desire to train a child so he can learn how best to grow while being mature, it is another to want to turn him into a perfect adult overnight, going from use of harsh words to even torture! Torture has its effect on children especially boys. Sometimes, when they are grown up and can't be controlled, they inevitably avenge their past on girls and women –– in form of rape, torture and so on. Why do we do these? Yet we say to ourselves, "Mother Africa." What is so gentle and loving about these behaviours? Where is the love that we once sought out to find behind the African horizon? Ha, eleyi ti suu mi o (Sigh, I am tired of this). 

Victoria Ibiwoye

What do we do? What have we done? Like me, are we still shaking heads, just saying in low voices "this is not proper" while our children's future is made to blur and blur until nothing can be written of their tomorrow?

Where do we stand in all these? We are worthy and responsible for the right and wrongs in our community. We are worthy when we shout in joy for victory. We are worthy when we lament for our failings.

When we say, "Arise Africa", are we truly rising with all boldness or there sitting, like the majority whom with their wide mouths and deep voices have so much to say but little to show?

This is me, not just speaking only for the other children who have lost their voice to speak but for the special ones who have been speaking but were never heard.

Now that I have found my own inner voice, I am convinced that where to go from here is not by staying put in a position speaking loudly of my integrity but by living as an example of the good I desire to see.

Together we CAN build a better Africa and end rape and other menaces in our society. Join us in this fight.

What's your thought on this write up?

2 comments:

  1. Nyc write up and i must confess, i compliment the writer....... And i support you on dis. Nyc image as well, but i was sort of wondrin, why wuld she be backin me and set a blow??? Dat means, she's scared and not realy ready to face her fears and fyt this injustice called #Rape dats gradually becoming a household name. Its sad, very sad. let her turn her back, and be bold, Lol...its not easy dou, the shame, trauma and painz she must have passed true, if sumtin is not done fast, i wonder wat the future holds for our own female kids. Its very alarming, We shuldnt allow till it affect our kids, our blood, b4 we take the ryt steps on dis issue. nyc write up dou, i like dis, God is ur strenght, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria Ibiwoye4:20:00 PM

    am excited by your comment. I appreciate your view and honest opinion on the post, thanks. Don't forget to share and continue to support the blog Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...